Support Hoagies' Page!
Shop Hoagies' Page before you visit your favorite on-line stores
(Prufrock code HOAGIES for free
shipping) and many more. Thanks for your support!
Your donations help keep Hoagies' Gifted Education Page on-line.
Distance Learning Programs
"With the rapid advance in computer technology and access to the Internet,
learning is no longer confined to traditional places such as classrooms... Distance
learning is defined as any educational situation in which teacher and
student are not engaged face-to-face. Two
critical features of distance learning programs are: They transcend the
constraints of time and space, and They are student focused. The student
chooses when, where, and how to learn..."
Learning Beyond the Local School: Distance Learning Programs for Academically
See also ... Academic Programs, Free Online High School Courses,
and Schools for the Gifted: Online
Gifted Resource Center Contest, Distance Learning Search
distance learning opportunity listing...
distance learning meet the needs of gifted elementary math students? by
Sylvia St. Cyr
The use of distance learning in an elementary setting has truly just begun.
Although data-specific to distance learning programs for gifted elementary
mathematics students was not available, the following statistics provide
considerations for further research regarding distance learning in U.S.
Online High School Courses and Free
Online Text Materials collected by Kathi Kearney, Kit Finn, and Carolyn
- Originally compiled for high schooling victims of Hurricane Katrina, these
free resources offer high school courses for schooled, and homeschooled
students alike. Plus a collection of online text materials folks find useful. The collection is
heavy on advanced math and science...
Adolescents' Talent Development Through Distance Learning by Paula Olszewski-Kubilius
CTD examined the impact of the medium
[cyberspace] on young gifted learners. Most of the students excelled on
the AP exams... Local schools are still reluctant to award credit or advance
standing... Families need to communicate with the local school personnel to
receive appropriate educational actions or services for outside-of-school
Before you purchase any on-line curricula, check here for possible group
discounts. Past offers include Discovery Channel unitedstreaming,
BrainPop, Mathscore.com, finance curriculum from DaveRamsey.com, even Lego
learning: A smart way to nurture gifted kids by Laura Vanderkam
With online learning, the newest wave of education, gifted students can take
classes local schools can't offer and learn at their own frenetic pace.
Framework already exists...
Learning Beyond the Local School: Distance Learning Programs for Academically
- Within the last decade, distance learning programs
have become more computer-based, using e-mail and the Internet to connect
students and teachers, or relying heavily on multi-media technology...
Gifted Learners Beyond the Traditional Classroom: A Guide to Alternative
Programs and Services edited by Joyce VanTassel-Baska
- From distance learning to talent search summer programs, from
residential academic programs to mentoring, and more - there are many
options outside the classroom for gifted education. Learn about many
of those options, through individual essays by some of the experts in each
Schools The Right Answer For Many Students Marilyn Brown, The Tampa
- Virtual school for one class or the entire curriculum... numbers are
soaring, and the effect on families is striking... strikingly positive!
by Art of Problem Solving
Innovative FREE online learning system, with over
7,500 problems with solutions, many from major national math
MATHCOUNTS, MOEMS, the
American Mathematics Competitions,
and the Centre for
Education in Mathematics and Computing competitions...
- K-12 plus advanced math, fully automated, available only on the
Internet. (48 hour free trial) Great option for use in schools,
too (school price is excellent; home prices slightly higher)
- Core subjects, including Algebra, Biology, World History, Spanish, AP
Statistics, including Boxer math...
school without walls, learning without borders, for the talented and
- Personalized classes, based in Ontario Canada
- Art of Problem Solving
- Problem solving based mathematics curriculum for grades 6-12...
- Fast-paced and exciting online classes grades 3 through lower high
school, for younger children may be ready for higher level content and
analytical thinking, but still desire age-appropriate activities...
and Noble University
- Join FREE online courses and reading groups led by authors and other
recognized experts (no age limits, no participation credit, but good fun)
- Center for Talented Youth
- CTYOnline offers over 60 online courses tailored to gifted students
in grades K through 12, led by CTY faculty. Subjects include math,
chemistry, biology, physics, computer science, writing, language arts,
foreign languages (Chinese, Arabic), music, and a variety of College Board
approved Advanced Placement courses
- The Collaboratory Zone supports teens in growing their superpowers for
good. Includes Algebra & Programming, Journalism, Design, and lots more
- CoolSchool (Cyber Oregon
- AP courses online
Math by RiverDeep
- Neat problem solving program for math, at various grade levels.
"Digit" guides kids through the problems, and then kids try them on
their own. My kids loved this program!
- Distance Education and Training Council
(formerly the National Home Study Council)
- Listing of high school and degree programs around the country, plus FAQ
and other resources
Educational Program for Gifted
Youth (EPGY) Stanford
- Check out Stanford's newest math option: Redbird Advanced Learning. Distance Learning Program for gifted students, begins with K-8 math and
includes higher level math, physics, and grammar and writing courses. EPGY programs are also offered by CTY Distance Education Math and
Johns Hopkins, and
for Talent Development Northwestern University. Read
On EPGY... parents' comments, by
Draper Kauffman and others...
- Workshops, classes, and clubs for gifted students around the world on
a safe, secure platform. Classes: Mechanical Engineering, Movie-making,
Website Design, Numbers and Big Ideas, Philosophy, Video Game Design,
Thinking like an Entrepreneur. Clubs: Unjournaling Writing Club, Book
Clubs, Gifted Girls' Club and Minecraft Club
(Institute for Mathematics & Computer Science)
- On-line interactive mathematics and computer science curricula to
talented middle and high school school and undergraduate students...
- Federal Way school district,
- K-12 on-line classes; check out the high school level math, provided by
Academic Systems, at good prices (conditionally free for WA residents)
Homeschool Forums (GHF) Online
- Outstanding and engaging online courses tailored to the needs of
gifted and twice-exceptional students...
Gifted LearningLinks at
Center for Talent Development at Northwestern University
- Nine-month honors and AP courses available with monthly start-up dates
for grades 6 through 12. Nine-week accelerated summer classes start in
June. Three-month enrichment courses for grades 3 through 8 start
January, June, and September
College Undergraduate Program for Homeschoolers
- offers young people, ages 14-19, who have learned
independently outside of schools, an opportunity to begin earning college
credit while continuing to learn in a self-directed style. Students design
their own courses in collaboration with a faculty advisor...
Online Advanced Placement Academy (IOAPA)
- AP courses online
- Japanese language and culture distance learning course
- K to 8 and high school curriculum for homeschool, or through virtual academy in some
- Online math software from grade 3 to pre-algebra (48 hour free trial)
- Grades K to 12 college prep academics, flexible student-centered
schedules, and personalized teacher relationships. Includes core,
Honors, and AP classes taught by credentialed teachers. Virtual Open
- Math Tutorials Johns
- Distance learning math, from EPGY K-6, DestinationMATH problem solving
courses at various levels, Academic Systems Pre- and Algebra I,
EPGY Algebra II, JHU Geometry, and EPGY or ThinkWell software well beyond into college level math, physics and
- Missouri University Center for
Distance & Independent Study University of Missouri
- programs in foreign languages, language arts, science, plus amateur radio, photography
Gelston’s One Room Schoolhouse
- Work with other teens to research, write, make, design, code, and
contribute to a better world...
- Online center for the academic study of the literature of the
fantastic, with a focus on Tolkien studies... (high school level)
Advanced Learning Environment (ALE)
- Space Science and Pre-Engineering courses, free or at very nominal
fees - the same courses used to train NASA employees
Atlantic Regional Schools (NARS)
- North Atlantic Regional High School (now accredited) offers an avenue for receiving a
recognized high school credential in the form of a diploma
G3: Guinevere's Gifted Group
- Accelerated and engaging online humanities classes for gifted students
featuring Michael Clay Thompson's curriculum...
- Undergraduate university courses in arts, sciences, business and more,
available to all... (Australia, but available world-wide)
- Choose from a wide range of undergraduate certificates and diplomas as
well as degrees. Also includes postgraduate qualifications...
(U.K., but available world-wide)
- PA Homeschoolers AP
- AP courses online
- The newest digital learning solution from Stanford, including
K-7 Math (descendent of EPGY Math)
- Non-profit, online higher ed institution, dedicated to using new
methods to make traditional Liberal Arts teaching available to students
everywhere. Through technology, Signum brings dynamic, interactive
teaching to everyone... (college level, see Mythgard
Institute for high school level)
- Stanford Online High School
(Previously EPGY Online High School)
- Three-year, fully-accredited, diploma-granting, online, independent
Tech University Independent School District (TTUISD) (click on TTUISD)
- Approved by the Texas Education Agency, TTUISD includes a Texas public
elementary school, middle school, and high school that operate at a
- Comprehensive high school math, science, social science and humanities courses,
including pre-algebra to calculus, biology, chemistry, physics, macro-
and micro-economics, and public speaking. Use for homeschooling,
subject acceleration, even with a class full of students!
- The Trent Schools the oldest
and largest provider of Internet home school lessons in the world
- Friends founded home education, completely seperate curriculum for gifted
students of IQ 137 and above
Grades 2 through 12, plus Trent Academy diploma by examination
University’s ACCELERATE Dual Enrollment Online
- Customized dual enrollment program; earn college
credit while still in high school.
- University credit courses offered by the University of Saskatchewan to
academically gifted high school students (12tbh grade, Saskatchewan only)
Continuing Education Association (UCEA)
- Each of the accredited UCEA member universities, colleges and
professional affiliates below offers courses, degree programs and/or
professional education by means of distance learning...
University of California Extension
- Accredited college and professional-level courses
- University of Missouri Center for
Distance and Independent Study
- Elementary, high school and college classes
- University of Nebraska Independent
Study High School
- Accredited high school classes, earn Nebraska high school diploma
- University of
Texas Distance Education Center
- Accredited high school classes, earn Texas high school diploma
High School online education and professional development
- Over 200 full semester courses in Arts, Business, English Language Arts,
Foreign Language, Life Skills, Math, Science, Social Studies, and Technology. In
addition, VHS offers 15 AP full year courses and 11 Pre-AP courses. All core
courses are NCAA accredited
a customizable course management system
- Lessons in General science, Biology, Physics, Chemistry and more, even
Toxicology & Pharmacology; use MyClassroom to pull together a full science
course (also en español)
- Writing Tutorials Johns
- Distance learning writing, with a real tutor and 7 different writing levels
April 01, 2016